Last Updated on June 12, 2021 by Handy Man
How to go to Mae Hong Son by flight
Due to the current outbreak of COVID-19, all airlines announces temporary closure of flights to some destinations and unable to provide services at Mae Hong Son Airport.
Distance some 900 kilometres [ 14h ] from Bangkok or 240 kilometres [ 6h ] from Chiang Mai by road. This is a reason why will we taking a flight to Mae Hong Son.
When it comes to transportation, you have a few different options. Flying is the most expensive choice but also the fastest. Trains are time consuming but offer more flexibility for making other travel stops. Finally, buses are ideal if you’re on a tight budget and don’t mind comfort.
Of course, I highly recommend go to Mae Hong Son by flight. Safety, save time and money even though it seem to be prices are higher than other transports. The most domestic flights are low-cost airlines out of Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi Airport. [ See “How to get the best fare” down below; ]
From Bangkok has 2 airports to Chiang Mai
A flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai takes just 60 to 70 minutes. Even when you add on the time of getting to and from the airport, it’s much more expedient than a train or bus.
Suvarnabhumi (BKK) > Chiang Mai (CNX) > Mae Hong Son (HGN)
There are 3 airlines from Suvarnabhumi (BKK) to Chiang Mai (CNX) duration 1h 15m and then connect flights at Chiang Mai Airport to Mae Hong Son duration 45 minutes.
Bangkok Airways has operate between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. You can check thru from Suvarnabhumi and then transit at Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son. You’ll also receive boarding passes for both flights when you first check-in, so all you will need to do is find your gate at your connecting airport and your bags will automatically follow.
Don Mueang (DMK) > Chiang Mai (CNX) > Mae Hong Son (HGN)
Common providers are the domestic flights and low-cost airlines out of Don Mueang to Chiang Mai duration 1h and then connect flights at Chiang Mai Airport to Mae Hong Son duration 45 minutes.
2021, Nok Air come back to operate route from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son. You’ll also check thru from Don Mueang.
Don Mueang (DMK) > Mae Hong Son (HGN)
Only Nok Air has operate direct flight from Don Mueang to Mae Hong Son 3 flights a week on Wed, Fri and Sun. Aircraft type Q400 and duration 1 hour 40 minutes.
From Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son
Take a flight to Mae Hong Son for a quick, hassle-free travel option. If you’re willing to pay a steeper price, traveling by plane is the fastest route.
Non-stop 45 minute flights from Chiang Mai Airport (CNX) to Mae Hong Son Airport (HGN) are flown daily by Bangkok Airways and Nok Air.
Bangkok Airways has operate between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son 3 flights a week on Tue / Thu / Sat. Aircraft type ATR 72-600 and duration 40 minutes. Read more Fly with Bangkok Airways.
Nok Air has operate between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son 3 flights a week on Tue, Fri and Sun. Aircraft type Q400 and duration 50 minutes. Read more Fly with Nok Air.
Choose an airline provider that suits your price range and departure location. The price of flying and length of the flight varies depending on the airline you choose.
One of highlight when you flying over Mae Hong Son. You will see the beautiful scenery of mountains. The end of Mt Himalayas foothill cover northern Thailand.
Please request a window seat while check in at airlines counter. It’s possible to do that and the flight is all economic class. Let see “What a wonderful wolrd”.
- Chiang Mai has international flight and they are some airlines have a direct flight. They might be from your destinations.
- Thai Smile Airways is a low-cost provider that always leaves from either Don Muang International Airport or Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- While booking flight online please check the total price before confirm. There are some options you added on process and airport tax included.
I like to travel by plane, it’s both safety and comfortable. I can make the exact itinerary although the costs higher and had been missing to see the scenery along the way. But I have the mountain view from the air that only Mae Hong Son’s feature has.
How to get the best fare
- Book your flight as soon as possible for a better price.
- Purchase your ticket as soon as possible for the best deal.
- You’ll have to pay a premium price if you book just a few days in advance.
- Booking early also gives you more time to plan your activities and coordinate your travels.
Ticket prices vary by season. The cheapest flights are around 1,000 THB, while the most expensive are 3000 THB and beyond. High tourist season is between October and February and around public holidays.
How to connect flights
I search by keyword how to connect flights and read article from website this one down blow. So, I get some ideas to create the topic about travel to Mae Hong Son and share with you. Here is A Guide to Connecting Flights by Alternative Airlines.
This one is a tip for domestic connect flight must-carry from my real experience. While along booking connect flight from/to, with or not the same airlines.
With the same airlines
- They have to a gap between arrival and next departure time at least 2 hours.
- Check thru not available for all airlines expecially low-cost airlines. This service will show you while booking process.
- It’s available to booking and check thru boarding pass at once time. You will transit flight and walk to the next gate when arrival.
Not the same airlines
- At least 3 hours for a gap between arrival and next departure time.
- Separate booking a single ticket each flight.
- You have to ensure the flight will not delay.
- Check thru not available.
- Check in flight by flight each airport.
Both of them, you will made a choice to flying any low-cost airlines from Bangkok depart Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airport.
Mae Hong Son is the perfect escape from the bored realities of life. It has relaxed atmosphere and a wealth of natural.
Beyond the mountains